Monday Menu Musings
Here are a couple of incredible recipes for ya….one healthy, and one on the dangerous side (thanks Mary for tempting me with these!)
Wheat Bran Cranberry Quick Bread
(from Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1/2 cup White Flour, Unbleached
- 1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 cup Wheat Bran
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp. Sea Salt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup Cranberries
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1 cup Orange Juice
- 1/3 cup Oil
Preheat oven to 350. In a large bowl, mix together the egg, milk, orange juice and oil. In a separate bowl, combine flours, bran, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, walnuts and cranberries. Add dry mixture into wet and mix until just combined. Pour into a greased 9x5x3 loaf pan. Bake for 55-60 minutes, or until the bread is firm in the center. Cool in pan 10 minutes, remove to rack and cool before slicing. Makes 1 loaf, yielding 12 slices.
No-knead Chocolate and Coconut Rolls
(from Better Homes and Gardens)
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 pkg. active dry yeast
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 13-oz. jar chocolate-hazelnut spread (Nutella)
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 recipe Icing
1. In large mixing bowl combine 2 cups of the flour and the yeast. In small saucepan heat and stir milk, sugar, butter, and 1/2 teaspoon salt salt just until warm (120 degrees F to 130 degrees F) and butter almost melts. Add milk mixture and eggs to flour mixture. Beat with electric mixer on low to medium for 30 seconds, scraping bowl as needed. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in remaining flour. Cover; let rise in warm place until double in size (45 to 60 minutes).
2. Turn dough out onto a well-floured surface. Cover; let rest for 10 minutes. Lightly grease a large baking sheet; set aside. Roll dough into a 12×9-inch rectangle. Spread 2/3 cup hazelnut spread over dough, leaving a 1-inch edge along one of the long sides. Sprinkle coconut over hazelnut spread. Roll up rectangle, starting from the long side with filling spread to edge. Pinch dough to seal seams. Slice into nine pieces. Arrange 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet. Cover; let rise in a warm place until nearly double in size (about 45 minutes).
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden. Cool about 5 minutes; transfer to wire rack. Drizzle with Icing. Makes 9 servings.
4. Icing: In small bowl stir together remaining hazelnut spread and enough milk (2 to 3 tablespoons) until drizzling consistency.